Nothing like the pumpkin flavours, texture and energy to make you feel grounded and centered.
Roots vegetables are ideal for this time of the year so you can centre yourself before Autumn knocks at the door. In Macrobiotics, roots vegetables bring refocus the energy in the centre of the body and improve the functions of the the Spleen/Pancreas.
- 1 or 2 small pumpkins (Hokkaido are great)
- 2 garlic heads
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp. of Jamaican pepper
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 leek
- 250 grams of mushrooms
- 10 asparagus
- 100 grams of parsley
- Cut the pumpkin in half and take the seeds out.
- Scoop small bits of pumpkin out until you reach close to the skin.
- Slice the leek thinly and cut in small cubes the onion.
- Cut also the mushrooms in quarters.
- In a frying pan heat up 2 tbs. of sesame oil and add crushed garlics and the red onion and let it roast.
- Add the sliced leek and sprinkle everything with the Jamaican pepper.
- Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes and ad d the pumpkin pieces.
- Place a lid on your pan and let cook for about 8 min.
- If water accumulates, pass the vegetables onto a strainer.
- Add the mushrooms and paprika and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a separate pan, steam the asparagus for simply 3 minutes.
- Start the oven at 180º and turn on the grill.
- Once the veggie mix is ready just place it inside pumpkin basket (without the asparagus) and put it in the oven.
- Let it cook for another 15 minutes and once is ready you can take out and add the asparagus and chopped parsley on top.
- You can serve with oat crackers or your favorite cooked grain.